Friday, April 12, 2013

Dragonfly Story



I'm often asked if there is a meaning behind all the dragonfly décor around my home. I tell them it reminds me to "smile."   Let me tell you why...



May 15, 1982 - The world was blessed with a girl- Jennifer Lauren Farrell.  I first met her in 3rd grade at Dowell Elementary.  She was the first person to speak to me on my first day at a new school.  She was as prissy as could be, a true ballerina. She had blonde hair and a huge smile...quickly we formed a friendship that would live in my heart forever.  As kids I can remember days of dancing in her kitchen and summers spent at the pool. Summers remind me so much of her! She loved the beach!

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never, ever the same"

Jen was one of the happiest people I've ever known. She was always smiling and constantly on the go. She was a dancer and cheerleader and even danced in the 1996 Olympic opening ceremonies.  She loved life and her family!

                             Her mom was her best friend.

{this is a picture I have in my home of Jen and her mom Carol- I surrounded it with reminders of the beach and a frame "Joyful mother of children"...which reminds me of Carol}

Although raised in Georgia, Jen was "Born to be a Tiger." After high school Jen attended Clemson University.   From the football games, to her Alpha Delta Pi sorority sisters... Clemson was in her heart.



On Aug. 17, 2001 Jen was on her way back to Clemson when a car crossed the median on I-85 and collided with her car, taking her from us here on Earth. She was 19 years old.

                                    Dragonfly Story

"In the bottom of an old pond lived some grubs who could not understand why none of their group ever came back after crawling up the stems of the lilies to the top of the water. They promised each other that the next one who was called to make the upward climb would return and tell what happened to them. Soon one of them felt an urgent impulse to seek the surface; she rested herself on the top of a lily pad and went through a glorious transformation, which made her a dragonfly with beautiful wings. In vain she tried to keep her promise. Flying back and forth over the pond, she peered down at her friends below. Then she realized that even if they could see her they would not recognize such a radiant creature as one of their own."



Every dragonfly I see I can just "imagine" Jen looking over us

Around my home are reminders of this story, of the life Jen lived, of our friendship, and of her smile












10 years ago the Jennifer Lauren Farrell Scholarship was formed, with a "wish and mission to create something positive in Jennifer's memory that would also benefit others" (This scholarship provides an out of state student tuition to Clemson University.)   Each year a memorial golf tournament is held at The Walker Course at Clemson.  There are many ways to participate and contribute to this scholarship if you are interested please go to JenniferFarrell.com www.JenniferFarrell.com




"In Loving Memory of Jennifer Lauren Farrell"

             ...a life never forgotten...

"Radiance in her smile, Bounce in her step, Grace in her dance, Heaven in her eyes... if there ever comes a day when we can't be together keep me in your heart and I'll stay there Forever"

~ Love and miss you Jenny!












 

No comments:

Post a Comment