Sunday, January 19, 2014

First Project of the New Year~ Master Bedroom

Not only am I super excited to be starting our first project of the year, but I am thrilled that it is our Master bedroom!!


Before

A master bedroom is supposed to be like a retreat. 

Retreat: A place affording peace, quiet, privacy, or security.


That definition does not exactly describe our Master bedroom. (especially with 3 dog crates in it)








However,  times they are a changin'...and soon it will be an amazing Master Suite. A retreat filled with clean, calming colors, classic details and a little french farmhouse inspiration.  (and the dogs are getting their own space in another part of the house) :)

I want a space that that I want to go to each night, a space that is sexy (wink!) and calming. 

Step 1: Get a game plan and find a paint color. We want to paint all the walls a creamy ivory. We tested out 3 different colors, all of which look like ivory on the paint deck, but once you get them on the wall one is clearly more gray and the other more yellow.  



The one on the left is BM Navajo White (too yellow for the look we want)
The one on the right is BM White Down (too gray)
The middle one is BM Sugar Cookie, and it is perfect!

Here is our plan for transforming our blah bedroom into a retreat:
*Clean palette: I love the look of calming colors on the walls in a bedroom. It sets the tone for the space...a space with less distraction.

*INSPIRATION PICTURES*

   *Classic details: new baseboards, window trim, and wainscoting on the walls.  





    *A little french farmhouse inspiration: I am not a fan of blinds on windows, but I am a fan of privacy, and I love the look of interior shutters. Can't wait to design and make these!! (blessed to have a handy husband that I can learn so many new skills from!)




We also are going to add a little "rustic farmhouse" to the room using the look of barn wood on the wall behind the chairs in the sitting area and on the ceiling 


We are going to create the barn wood look with cedar. I tested a few different staining/painting techniques on  a scrap piece of cedar.

This is my favorite


it is the same stain we used on the pantry door, 
(Watco Danish Oil Dark Walnut Stain)with linen chalk paint dry brushed over it and then the excess wiped off.

What do y'all think? You like it?

Our master bedroom is such a large, blah space...I can't wait to finally have a retreat that Ric and I can enjoy daily! 

What projects do you have planned this year?






No comments:

Post a Comment